Thursday, August 02, 2012

Perspective

Yesterday was "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day", so they say.  I think the entire nation was as polarized as 9-11, just in different directions instead of one focus.  Very few people were indifferent, but motivated by some aspect of the argument.


To a small group of folks, it was a sad, shocking day, though.  


Photo by permission compliments of "Kuldeep Chudasama".  Thank you!


Wesley Bryant, 22, of Carthage, NC left this earth behind.  It was sudden.  It was unexpected.  It was tragic.  It doesn't matter how.  It is too much!


If you didn't know my friend, Wes, you missed out.


I will be 45 this year on my birthday and I can honestly say that I have NEVER met anyone with the level of sincerity this kid had.  He loved everyone as a person and expressed it in his way-with gentleness and kindness.  If you read his Facebook wall, it is filled with "you were a great friend" by hundreds.


We were accidental friends really.  Two of his best friends and band mates were friends of mine and played in our church's worship band.  One of those boys (men now) has an amazing story of his own.   So we were friends of friends.  Since Wes worked his way through high school and college at the only grocery store in town, we slowly became friends.
Photo used with permission and compliments of Shaun Dirte Gleason. Thank you!
Joey, Wes, Derrick and one of their friends.


He probably didn't like me much at first, I am the pastor's wife, after all, but slowly he warmed.  And just to be honest, I was a little intimidated by him at first.  I began to appreciate him so much that I made it a point to use his check out line when he would come home from college on break even if meant me waiting.  We would chat about school, his body art  on his arms (which was gorgeous) and ALWAYS music-Seventh Denial then lately As Oceans and occasionally church.


It was this passed winter break, I think, that I knew from Facebook that he was home and happened into Food Lion.  There he was, in his spot.  He wasn't waiting on a customer because it was slow at that moment.  He looked up from what he was doing and got a big smile on his face and came around the counter and greeted me with a hug.  That was Wes.  Just a lovable guy.  I'm not a metal fan, so I've never been to one of his concerts.  He's not a church fan, so he'd not been to church.  We were just two friends saying "Hi!  It's so good to see you!"


Two weeks ago, he brought some clothes and shoes by my shop for donation.  What a joy it was to see him.  I lamented to him that I missed seeing him to which he agreed, but started sharing with me his internship work and everything going on in his life.  Even in the not so good stuff he had seen the silver lining and was turning it to good.  He asked me about my life, my family and sent a "hi" message to my husband asking about him and the church.  He was so different from that young man I had met 4-5 years ago.  He was confident and happy.  He was genuine and real. 


I will miss him.  You see, he taught me a lot with out knowing it.  I am thankful for the life lessons he shared in his easy manner of appreciating life and seeking Truth.


August 1, 2012 will always be a day for me when a seeker left this life wondering if their was any Truth, while many in this bible-belted community fought and voiced their right to be right.  


One person jokingly shared with me a week ago, "we won...nahnahnahnahnah".  Yes, we may have won here and now, but did Jesus in the later?


I love you, Wes, dear young friend.  Thank you for sharing your time with me.  Your life lessons will never be lost.


Jesus, thank you for Wes.  Place on my heart every day the type of genuineness that he had with love and appreciation for everyone, even people that I don't agree with.  Let me be about your business and not my own.  Amen.








  



1 comment:

Unknown said...

‎Patty, this blog was so nicely written. Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts about Wes. Writing is such a powerful was to share thoughts and relieve emotions. Wes understood that as he spent countless hours writing about the thoughts he had. I know many will remember Wes through his writings in music and many more will write in his memory. God bless you, and may our God of love comfort and bless all those who are mourning today. Jesus gave us all hope when He said in His message on the mountian, "Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted." Matt:5:4